I love to run, but when I hit the pavement, I always take steps to ensure that I make it back home safely. All runners should. Use my favorite running safety tips to keep you and your family and pets safe.
Running Safety Tips
1. Be Aware – Be aware of your surroundings when running in public. I always run facing traffic when jogging on a street so I can see any cars.
2. Ditch the headphones – I love my music, but headphones make it difficult to hear cars, people, and animals that may be coming up behind me.
3. Be Seen – I always wear bright colored clothing that keeps me highly visible. When running after dark or before dawn, I also recommend wearing reflective gear or some personal lighting system. While high visibility reduces the risk of traffic accidents, it also reduces the risk of becoming a victim. If people can see me, it’s more likely that I will be noticed if something goes wrong.
4. Be identifiable. I always carry identification with me as well as a list of my health issues and note of my blood type. If I have a medical problem on a run, this identification will help first responders help me. I also keep my cell phone handy.
5. Bring company. I run with a friend whenever I can. When our schedules clash, I bring my dog along, so I’m not alone.
6. Avoid running near thick bushes and parked cars to prevent a potential ambush. Make sure to avoid remote places.
7. Tell someone where you are. My spouse and children know all my favorite running routes, and I always make sure they know where I will be.
8. Trust your instincts while on a run. It’s mother nature’s built in security system!
These running safety tips have kept me safe for many miles, and I am glad to share them with you. Stay safe!
For tips on how to deal with an aggressive or frightened dog while running or (Walking!), check out the infographic below!
Article and Info-graphic written and designed by Tim from Executive Gift Shoppe
Pin For Later: