Nothing says home to me like some good ‘ol Tex-Mex, which of course involves real, authentic guacamole. I’m convinced that a good guacamole is the perfect food. It’s healthy, a snack, a topping, a dip. Perfect. Now if only those tortilla chips could be as healthy.
Everyone has different ideas of what belongs in guacamole. Many feel that mashed up avocado, a little lime juice, and chopped cilantro makes a tasty guacamole. If you are one of those, you gotta try this! I promise, you’ll never go back.
Fresh, Authentic Guacamole
Guacamole originates from the Aztecs, and what went into it varied according to what was available in the area. Traditionally the only additions to the avocados were tomatoes, chilies, onions, and cilantro. It’s mixed and served in a mortar and pestle called a molcajete. Of course over the last several hundred years, it’s evolved a teensy bit, but not all that much.
Authentic Guacamole Recipe:
We start with our avocados.
Slice the avocados in half, remove the seed, and then while still in their skin slice the insides top to bottom, then side to side. Then scoop the insides out into a mixing bowl.
Next we have our veggies. Tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, limes, and garlic. Dice the tomatoes and onions, and finely chop the garlic and jalapeño. If you like spicy, keep the jalapeño seeds, if not, toss ’em.
Then squeeze in the lime juice and a healthy pinch of salt. Lime juice is not traditional but it serves two purposes in guacamole: 1) It’s tasty, and 2) the acid in the juice keeps the avocados form turning brown.
Then using a fork, mash up the mixture until its mostly smooth. It’s ok if it’s a little chunky; personally, I prefer it that way.
Lastly snip or chop a good handful of fresh cilantro. and mix it all in.
Taste for seasoning and serve. Serve with chips or alongside your favorite tex-mex foods.
Yields 8 servings
delicious, authentic guacamole straight from the mayans! You're never go back to your old recipe
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 limes
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the seed, and then while still in their skin slice the insides top to bottom, then side to side. Then scoop the insides out into a mixing bowl.
- Dice the tomatoes and onion and finely mince the garlic and jalapeno. If you like you guacamole a little on the spicy side, keep the pepper seeds.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno to the avocados.
- squeeze your limes into the mixture as well and add a few pinches of salt and pepper (Taste to your preference).
- Mash the avocado mixture with a fork until the large chunks are gone.
- Then, chop a handful of your fresh cilantro and add it into the bowl.
- Give the mixture a good stir.
- Serve with tortilla chips or with your favorite tex-mex food.
Next time you get a hankering for some tex mex or need the perfect chip dip, look no further! This fresh and authentic guacamole recipe won’t let your tastebuds down!
The form you have selected does not exist.